In 2014 after he finished his first two books, Breast Cancer – Taking Control and DCIS – Taking Control, and heard that men with breast cancer were reading his books, he pushed his MBC book that was on his to-do list to the top. In May 2014 I was contacted by through this website by world renowned breast cancer oncologist and author Professor John Boyages who was completing his book entitled Male Breast Cancer – Taking Control.
John asked if I would review his draft book and provide insight from a MBC survivor’s perspective and I jumped at the opportunity. This book,which is becoming the “Bible” for men diagnosed with breast cancer, was launched in Australia in March 2015 and is now available in the US and Canada. John and I have spent many hours conferring about the book and we continue to converse about MBC awareness.
John is a cancer specialist with over 30 years experience in the diagnosis and treatment of breast cancer.
- He was first appointed to Macquairie in 2011 as the Director of its Cancer Program and helped establish many clinical, research and patient support programs related to cancer.
- He leads the Advanced Lymphoedema Research Program at Macquaire University which has already achieved world recognition. He has published more than 140 research and clinical articles including several papers on the integration of implants with radiation.
- After graduating from the University of Sydney, he trained at Westmead Hospital and at the Dana Farber Cancer Institute at Harvard in Boston.
- He is a radiation oncologist at Macaquaire University Hospital and the author of several “Taking Control” books including his recent publication on Male Breast Cancer (www.bcpublish.com).
- He is the Professor of Breast Oncology and Associate Dean (International and Engagement) at the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences at Macquarie University.
- He is a regular invitee to public and medical forums and loves imparting knowledge to health professionals, patients and their families.